Saturday, February 23, 2008

Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry Chocolate



The picture really says it all. (Special thanks to penmachine.com for a fitting pic! Enjoyed your blog! http://www.penmachine.com/2008/02/do-not-buy-diet-cherry-chocolate-dr)



J-Lam Says:

The packaging is very retro: swoops and bubbles, all pastel shades of pink and silver and brown. I think they're going for the 50's look to bring back memories of soda fountain creations. But let's remember that kids paid a nickel for those old treasures, and that's about what this one's worth too!



When I poured it into the cup I was surprised by the funny reddish color. Dr. Pepper doesn't look good in red, and my first thought was "oh boy, it's gonna be super sweet." It wasn't.



Instead, I got a flavor I can only describe as "mild Robutussin." This was no doubt the artificial cherry flavor they infused into an otherwise delicious soda. Combined with the funky aspartame aftertaste, which I can never stand, it completely lost me after the first swallow.



I forced myself to try again, searching desperately for the chocolate advertised on the label. It was only barely noticeable when I swished it around in my mouth like a fine wine.



Fine wine this is not. It's not fine at all.



TURD.


B-Com Says:

May I remind everyone, this is a diet soda! They all taste like that! (Yes, J-Lam, I'm attacking you!) Let's break it down:


Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry Chocolate. Does it deliver what it says it will deliver? Yes. That doesn't mean it's good. I didn't pick up the bottle because Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry Chocolate sounded delicious, I picked it up because it was new and I wanted to try something new.


It tastes kind of like a cherry Tootsie Roll, so it delivers the goods as advertised. But honestly, my first reaction when I took a mouthful was "Oh my God! Who would drink this stuff?"


The chocolate is a surprise. A kind of a sock-you-in-the-mouth type of flavor. The cherry is more subtle, the Abbott to the chocolate's Costello.


To sum it up, does it deliver? Yes. Do I like it? No.


TURD.


P.S. If you want a chuckle, check out this YouTube video for Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry Chocolate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x2W12A8Qow

No comments: