Friday, March 6, 2009

Subway - Salads and Pizza?!?!?!



Subway is the perennial sandwich shop. The largest franchise restaurant in the nation, and a personal favorite among the T or T crowd. But, we wanted to find out what happens when you stray from the formula that has made them great. What if you saunter on up to the counter at the world’s greatest sandwich joint and order a salad and a pizza?

B-Com Says:
I immediately noticed the sign announcing that “Any Sandwich Can Be a Salad!” so I decided to test that theory. I decided to go with a Seafood Salad salad (is that stuttering?) so my Sandwich Artist jumped right out of her element, grabbed a bowl and started loading it up with lettuce, my choice of toppings and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Now, I would have expected (because my opinion is correct in this case) that she would have dressed the greens with the vinaigrette, then topped it with a serving of the seafood salad. Instead, my Sandwich Artist proved her newbie status as a Salad Architect by dropping on the seafood, then slathering it all in dressing.

“Eeek!” I whimpered pitifully. But it was too late.

Was it horrible? No. Was it my preference? No. I would strongly recommend that the folks at Subway take a lesson from the masters at Salad Creations if they really want to bust into the salad market. But all-in-all I was impressed with a decent salad from a sandwich joint.



TERRIFIC!

J-Lam says:
I’m always interested in trying something new at a well-known place. Sometimes that torks B-Com off because he doesn’t feel it’s a fair representation of a restaurant’s real value or quality to rate them based on an obscure menu item no one orders. And believe me, I fully understand and respect the powerful hammer we wield as the proprietors of Terrific or Turd. With one gracefully written article, we can literally destroy the hopes and dreams of an entire corporation, or drag a struggling franchise owner into the multi-billion-dollar limelight of nationwide success! We can change and mold the world to our own design just by spewing our venomous opinions on those we despise, and heaping our blessed praise on those we enjoy!



We are GODS AMONG BLOGGERS!!!!!

Anyway, I’ve been a big fan of Subway subs for a long time. I walked in and found that they now offer personal pizzas! Mulling over the Dunkin’ Donuts Debochle from a few months ago, I hesitated a moment before ordering the sausage pizza. As I expected, the Sandwich Artist stooped to pull something from a freezer beneath the counter. This was exactly how it started in Dunkin’ Donuts, and I cringed right away.

But that’s where the similarities ended! He pulled out a frozen crust, unwrapped it and proceeded to ladle on fresh sauce, crumbled sausage from the heated pot nearby and a handful of fresh mozzarella from among the sandwich toppings nearby. He loaded that nice-looking pie into the super-fast-non-microwave oven behind him, and in a minute I had a piping hot pizza before me that looked for all the world like I had made it myself at home.

Get this, Dunkin Donuts: No cardboard crust! No dehydrated sausage pellets! No thin, dried crust of sauce!

This was a really good example of pizza made well by a place that doesn’t generally do pizza! I was impressed, and would certainly eat it again, even if the next time I drop by Subway, I go back to my good old turkey breast and ham with mayo.



TERRIFIC!

No comments: